Busy, busy, busy at the Wellington Main Streets Program office!
Originally published in the Wellington Colorado Chamber of Commerce Newsletter
Here is what we have been working on…
- Huge thanks to everyone who joined the fun on Arbor Day! Thank you to Tree Top Inc for donating 8 hours of tree trimming service to downtown Wellington, to Mayor Hamman for proclaiming Wellington an Arbor Day city, to the Kiwanis for all their work with the cardboard collecting, to the Rotary club for drinks and snacks, and to the Colorado State Forest Service Greenhouse for the donation of the trees. We gave away a lot of trees, collected a truck load of boxes for recycling, and kids had fun playing in boxes and learning about trees. We look forward to doing this again next year! Events, workshops, and projects:
- Strategic Planning Workshop was completed on May 14th. We discussed strategic planning and transformational strategies for the Wellington Main Streets Program, and came up with a 3 year strategic plan.
- June 19th from 6:30-8:30 pm we are participating in a free DOLA consultation service geared towards helping us “Tell Wellington’s Story”. This service will help us define what Wellington’s story is, utilizing workshops, historical information, assessments, and input from locals. We are planning to use the information gained to help with promotion of Wellington, including a project to do a video that can be posted on the various town organization’s websites.
- 1st Annual Wellington Brewfest, June 2, 2018 from 1:00 pm-5:00 pm. The event is sold out, and proceeds will go to benefit the Wellington Main Streets Program, and in turn downtown Wellington.
- 2018 Summer Concert Series, June 16th, July 21st, and August 18th, 2018 from 5:30 pm-9:00p: Free Concerts are held in Centennial Park. This year’s band theme is “Women of Summer”. The Title and Presenting sponsors, as well as the food, beer, and alcohol sponsors, are all local Wellington businesses. This year we have added a VIP area and are expanding the beer garden fence to include the entire grass area. We still have supporting sponsorship opportunities available, as well as vendor space, VIP tickets and concert T-shirts for sale. For more information visit: www.wellingtonconcertseries.com
- Walking Tour of Downtown Wellington Historic buildings to be led by Ron Sladek alongside Historic Larimer County, and hosted by WCMSP and WACC, is scheduled for June 30th from 10:00 am-12:00pm and will start in Centennial Park and end at Old Colorado Brewing Company.
- Flower planters for summer 2018, adding color to downtown Wellington.
- Murals for downtown Wellington: Mural #1 for Town hall building is nearly complete, and is due to be installed by July 4th. We have begun planning for additional murals in downtown Wellington which will incorporate images related to Wellington’s history.
- Historic Survey: The Historic Survey on 25 buildings in downtown Wellington is complete and in the final stages of approval. Join us for the walking tour to learn more.
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Wellington: WCMSP is working with the Town Planner, business owners, and other invested groups, to create design guidelines for downtown Wellington. This will help new building development along Cleveland Ave. match the rest of our historic downtown.
- Promotional Video for Downtown Wellington project: We are working with the Wellington Chamber of Commerce on a project to make a promotional video for Wellington, showcasing the community highlights, businesses, housing options, and community activities. The videos will be available to share on various town organizations’ websites.
- AARP Grant application for lighted crosswalks: A Grant application was submitted in May for a 100% funding opportunity through AARP to get two sets of solar powered lighted crosswalks to be installed along Cleveland Ave at the intersections of 5th St. and 3rd St. We will find out by June 25th if we received the funding. Adding push button flashing lights will help increase pedestrian safety and visibility at these busy intersections.