SUBJECT: Wellington Main Streets Program presentation to the Town Trustees and Mayor from Wellington Main Streets Program Executive Director Annie Lindgren
The Wellington Main Streets Program provides monthly updates to the Town Trustees regarding on-going projects, organizational updates, events, and future plans.
Item 1: Consultation Services provided through DOLA
- Market Leakage Analysis and Opportunity Assessment: The presentation scheduled for March 13th was canceled due to weather, but will be rescheduled. The report was sent to the trustees and will be available on the Main Streets Website.
Item 2: Current projects
- Promotional Video for Downtown Wellington project: WCMSP is working with the Wellington Chamber of Commerce, and the Town of Wellington on a project to make a promotional video for Wellington, showcasing the community highlights, businesses, housing options, and community activities. The videos will be available to share on various town organizations’ websites. This project is complete, and each organization was given a copy of the video.
- Partnership with North Forty News to get the word out about downtown Wellington: We have a monthly page in the North Forty News for an article from the Main Streets Program. Check out this month’s article on summer events in downtown Wellington. Next month’s article is about the history of downtown Wellington, the teenage years.
- Mural projects:
- Historic Train Depot Mural on the old Lumberyard building, 8141 First Street: We have reviewed the final design for the historical Wellington Train Depot mural, which will be on the West end of the two buildings, facing the railroad tracks. The business owner is very supportive of this project, and has begun work on cleaning up that end of the building, extending the siding to cover the remaining portion of brick on the west end. The mural will take approximately a month to complete, and should be begin in April. It will be 3 dimensional, and cover multiple surfaces including the fence around the southern building. The area will remain covered while in progress. This project is funded through fundraising efforts (from the .5k Fun Run) and through support from the business owner. This will help beautify the western entrance to downtown Wellington tremendously. The image is available upon request.
- Downtown Flower Planters: We are looking in to options to expand the flower planter program to include the intersection of 6th Street and Cleveland Ave, and extending westward towards downtown. We have found self-watering pots, and are determining size, color, and location. We will use sponsorship and grant funding to pay for the planters, flowers, and watering.
Item 3: Events
- .5k Fun Run put on by Old Colorado Brewing Company and Fitness1 scheduled for April 6th from 11:00am-2:00p. This event will start and finish at OCBC, and will include a walk/stroll/run around the 3 blocks east and south of OCBC. Proceeds will go to fund the Train Depot Mural. Many local businesses are sponsoring this event.
- 2019 Wellington Brewfest: Put on by Old Colorado Brewing Company, Soul Squared, MRockCreative, and Cantina Liquor, as a benefit for the Wellington Co Main Streets Program. The event will take place in Centennial Park on June 1st, from 12:00p-6:00pm. We would like to expand the boundaries for the event this year, to allow for more breweries (16 total) and attendees (up to 500). There will be food trucks and live music. More details to come. Proceeds go to support downtown beautification efforts and promotion of downtown Wellington.
- Well-O-Rama: August 17th from 10:00am-6:00pm in Centennial Park. This is a new event based on an old event that started in the 60’s with the paving of Cleveland Ave, and it will take place of the Summer Concert Series. It will be an all-day music event (bluegrass/country/folk) with fun family friendly activities and other activities with an emphasis on supporting local businesses. We have the bands confirmed, a logo and the start of promotional material, and are working on gaining sponsors.
Item 4: Other:
- Organizational updates: We are working on updating our By Laws, formalizing job descriptions and policy and procedures for employees, and increasing our volunteer pool to build better committees. We currently have an opening for a part time, up to 10 hours a week office assistant, and will be advertising for this. We officially have committee meetings scheduled for all 4 program areas, as well as membership and special event committees, chaired by volunteers.
- National Main Street Conference: The Executive Director is attending the National Main Street Conference March 25th-March 27th. The WCMSP office will be closed from March 25th-April 2nd.
Thank you for your ongoing support. We welcome your questions, concerns and comments! We would love to hear from the Trustees regarding what they would like to see from this program.